March 19, 2007

Shop around the corner...

Malaysian's polite?? then you have not stepped your foot in Petaling Street.. I 've had my share of bad times there.. whilst doing my A'levels I had one of my many unfortunate experiences dealing with some creatures from that darn place .. the Cetak Rompak Cd guys will harrass you until you feel violated ,mind you they also made some pretty racist comments,despite the big sign board boldly stating that they will be fined if caught selling pirated items..they continue to do so.. typical Malaysians.. apart from that ,the hookers in PS are at every corner of the street..roaming freely..soliciting with their clients.. huh?? Indeed its Eye on Malaysia.. wait a minute dont they like have a Police station somewhere there?? nearby the gurduwara? There were times that I would literally cry knowing that when Sunday passes Monday would be college day... the very idea of stepping into that awful place gives me the creep.. to console myself I let my imagination go wild.. I pretend that its the paleolithic era.. where people are weird and they idulge in engraving on stones and bones..

Many have the idea that things are cheap in PS... on the contrary its the complete opposite.. Life was cool cause I get to meet ostensible characters who claim that the bag that they carry is genuine GUCCi.. who you bluffing la??? The only other reason I go there nowadays is because of the cute book shop in Central Market. CM' claims to be the largest wet market in the city, its across the Klang river and opposite Dayabumi . You can get there by PUTRA Lrt or by any other public transport,opening hours are from 10am to 10 pm both weekdays and weekend. I love the book corner.. they have uncountable collection of good books.. from various authors.. be it Dan Brown,Sidney Sheldon or Sophie Kinsella.. believe it or not they have the old and new version of Mills and Boon.. plus magazines , local and international ones .. the owners are very polite and helpful.. Mom and I have been their regular customers for years.. and I plan to be one for a very long time.. and the idea of my children continuing the custom or the tradition gives me the thrill.. well what about the price?? its a second hand bookstore.. they do have new ones but the cool part is you get to return them if you want to buy another .. therefore you dont have to fork up money everytime you need a new one..you sort of automatically have an account there.. though the shop is small.. it gives me a sense of belonging and comfort.. its more approachable than the larger book stores.. reminds me of the movie Shop Around the Corner.. (classical movie starring Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart) l.. its cute, quiet and romantic.. you guys should check it out...


Located at:
Jalan Hang Kasturi Tel: (03) 2274 9966.